Waterside Lodge Berry Cheesecake
Although every mealtime is a celebration of fine dining during your South African safari at the Thornybush Lodges, you don’t need a special occasion to enjoy this delicious cheesecake, courtesy of Waterside Lodge. Here’s how to spoil your family and friends with this lush treat any time you like.
Makes 1 large cheesecake
- 2 packets Tennis biscuits
- 250g Butter
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 °C.
- Crush the biscuits into a fine crumb and mix with the melted butter.
- Press the biscuit mix into the bottom of a loose bottom cake pan.
- 500g Cream cheese
- 250ml Lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla paste
- 2 tins Condensed milk
- 2 Tbsp Lemon zest
- Gently beat the cream cheese until smooth with an electric mixer.
- Add the vanilla and lemon juice to the cream cheese mixture.
- Gently fold in the condensed milk and lemon zest.
- Place the cheesecake mixture on top of the biscuit base and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the mixture has set.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool at room temperature.
- Once the cheesecake has cooled thoroughly, place the cheesecake in the fridge for 8 hours.
- 500g Frozen mixed berries
- 125ml Castor sugar
- 2 Tbsp Lemon juice
- 1t Vanilla paste
- To make the berry coulis, combine the frozen berries, castor sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan.
- Simmer the berry mixture until it starts to thicken – about 30-40 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow the mixture to cool completely.
- Ease the cheesecake out of the cake pan and place it onto a serving plate. Pour the berry coulis over the top and get creative decorating your masterpiece with fresh strawberries, blueberries, gooseberries and mint leaves.
More about the humble cheesecake
Although cheesecake rose to its current popular status during the ’70s, it’s been around for a lot longer than that. Historians have traced the origin of this delectable dessert back to the Ancient Greeks. A type of cheesecake was served to the athletes at the first Olympic games in 776BC as a source of energy.
This isn’t the best news for those on a calorie-controlled diet. You only live once – make your cheesecake and eat it!
If you want to see more recipes from our experienced chefs, keep reading our blog, but it’s always tastes better to experience these delicious creations first-hand! Get in touch and book your South African safari today.