It had to happen – a recipe using biltong courtesy of Thornybush. This dried meat delicacy is about as South African as you can get – it’s way up there with the Big Five and Springbok rugby. This recipe is brought to you by Thornybush’ s River Lodge and is the perfect dish to go along with the laid-back luxury you’ll find at this intimate lodge
You haven’t experienced a true taste of a South African safari until you’ve had a bite of these spicy strips of goodness. Biltong is as addictive as peanuts, and local chefs will find any excuse to incorporate it into as many dishes as possible.
It’s so well loved that there’s even a vegan variety available now. Made of mushrooms, it’s as close to the real thing as you can get.
Without further ado, here’s a recipe that includes biltong in the last place you’d expect it – soup. Served as a starter or main, this dish packs all the flavour of your favourite snack into a hearty meal.
- 1 Medium potato chopped into 1 cm cubes for easy blending
- 1 Onion, chopped finely
- 1 Clove of crushed garlic or more if you prefer
- 1 cup Biltong Powder
- 250ml Cream
- 3 cups Water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté onions, potato, biltong and garlic together in a large saucepan until soft.
- Add the cream and water to the pot.
- Boil until the potatoes are soft.
- Place the mixture into a blender, or alternatively use a stick blender, to blend until smooth.
- Pour individual portions into a soup bowl and garnish with slices of biltong and deep-fried parsley.
Thick slices of homemade seed bread and a roaring fire are the perfect match for this dish.
There’s nothing quite like settling down to a bowl of nourishing soup around the boma fire to ward off the evening chill after an action-packed day of winter game viewing.
Although soup might not be the ideal end to a thrilling summer’s day of activities at the Lodge, we can guarantee that our chefs will surprise you with something equally delicious and suited to any season.
Get in touch if you would like to experience the joy of a South African safari with Thornybush at any time of year. We guarantee that we can satisfy even the most fastidious appetite for adventure and luxury during your stay.