In keeping with our commitment to our guests health and safety during these uncertain times we are now offering two options for Covid-19 PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) tests to guests staying at any of the Thornybush lodges. Various countries have different requirements and in order for us to accommodate as many of our travellers as possible we feel this is an important and necessary service.
The purpose of this test is to detect the presence of genetic material from the Covid-19 virus in the nasal or oral cavity. Most countries require this test to be conducted within 72 hours of departure from their stay in South Africa.
1. Testing facilitated by Africa Safe-T at the lodge
- Our team will need to know 6 days before the date of the guests’ departure whether they will require a Covid-19 PCR test
- Africa Safe-T, who are facilitating Thornybush with the testing will contact the lodge with a date and time for the collection of the test sample
- Guests are requested to provide our team with the below information in order to confirm the testing with Africa Safe-T
- ID/Passport number
- First Name
- Date of birth (dd/mm/yyyy)
- Patient email
- Patient cell phone number
- Testing will take approximately 15 minutes per person
- Guests may not eat or drink anything at least 30 minutes prior to the test being conducted.
- The cost for this test is R3000.00 per person. This can be added to your bill on check out.
- The sample will be taken to a laboratory in Hoedspruit and results can take between 24 and 48 hours depending on the time the sample arrives at the laboratory.
2. Direct testing in Hoedspruit
- The Ampath Lab in Hoedspruit is available Monday – Friday, but please note the lab is closed on weekends. Our guests can either self-drive to Hoedspruit should they have their own vehicle or alternatively we can arrange a transfer for them to have their COVID-19 PCR test.
- The Ampath Lab would require a confirmed appointment which needs to be made two days prior to the testing, the lodge can arrange this for you
- The results of the throat swab test are released after 24 hours
- The cost of the test is R850 per person, excluding a transfer
- If a transfer from the lodge to Hoedspruit is required there will be an additional charge:
- Thornybush Reserve – Hoedspruit, return (+-1 hour) R1,550.00 per person (based on 1 – 2 people)
- Sabi Sands Reserve – Hoedspruit, return (+-2 hours) R2,100.00 per person (based on 1 – 2 people)
What else you need to know
The Ampath Laboratories have speciﬁc operating times, so to ensure that you get to the lab in Hoedspruit or that the sample arrives within these working hours, guests may have to miss out on a planned lodge activity. However, we will do everything we possibly can to try and avoid a situation like this, but occasionally it may be unavoidable due to distance and timing.
The guests will receive their test results via an email, they can then use these for the check-in requirements for international flight departures