There’s no better way to end another perfect day on safari, than with lashings of rich, indulgent chocolate. Our chocolate mousse is the perfect partner to the exceptional experiences you’ll enjoy during your stay at Thornybush Game Lodge. Here’s how it’s done…
Ingredients – Chocolate Mousse
- 4 Eggs – separated
- 400ml cream
- 4 Teaspoons sugar
- 2 Teaspoons coffee
- 600g Dark cooking chocolate
- Combine the egg yolks and sugar in a mixing bowl
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler
- Stir in the coffee granules until they dissolve
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff
- Beat the cream separately until thick
- Fold the egg yolks into the chocolate and coffee mixture
- Add half of the egg whites and half the cream and fold in
- Fold in the rest of the cream and egg whites
- Pour the mixture into a mould or serving dish
- Refrigerate until set
- Dish the chocolate mousse up into serving bowls before adding the spun sugar
Ingredients – Spun Sugar
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2tbs Light corn syrup
- 1/4cup Water
- Sunflower oil for brushing
- Attach 2 wooden spoons to your work surface with masking tape. They should be positioned side by side with their handles extended over the edge of the surface.
- Brush the handles with sunflower oil
- Cover the floor beneath with newspaper
- Prepare an ice water bath
- Place the sugar, corn syrup and water in a small saucepan and bring to the boil over medium heat
- Cook the mixture for about 8 to 10 minutes until it turns pale amber
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and place it in the ice bath
- Allow to cool until slightly thickened.
- Working with sugar as all about the timing – be prepared to experiment with your technique to get it right, but don’t get disheartened if it takes a few messy and sticky trials.
- Place two forks back to back and dip the ends into the caramel
- Holding the forks about 60cm above the spoon handles, swing the caramel back and forth
- This will cause loops of caramel strands to fall in thin threads over the handles.
- If the caramel becomes too stiff during this process, reheat it gently over a low heat
- When you have enough for one portion scoop them up into a loose nest shape and place on top of the mousse.
- Serve immediately with vanilla ice cream.
The Health Benefits of Chocolate
Despite any concerns you may have about the fattening properties of chocolate, this treat is excellent for optimal mental health.
Just like time spent in the bush and even a big 5 sighting, dark chocolate stimulates the release of endorphins. These feel-good hormones help to reduce stress and pain. The tryptophan which is found in rich dark chocolate is a building block for serotonin, another happy chemical which stimulates feelings of well-being.
So there you have it – chocolate and safaris, a match made in heaven. You can have them both if you get in touch and book your safari at Thornybush today!