Summers in South Africa can get very hot, so having several tasty, nutritious salads in our arsenal of recipes is always a big hit with guests. Whether served as part of the lunch buffet or as a side to accompany another dish – this Thai Beef Salad, courtesy of Monwana Lodge, always goes down well. Add this asian delight to your list of go-to summer recipes.
Thai Beef Salad
- Olive oil for cooking beef fillet strips
- 2kg beef fillet (cut into strips)
- 1 Table spoon Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 Garlic clove crushed
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 1 Tablespoon Fish Sauce
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 200 g cocktail grape tomatoes
- 1 red onion sliced thinly
- 1 bunch of fresh mint leaves
- 1 red pepper thinly sliced
- 1 yellow pepper thinly sliced
- 1 baby gem leaves
- 1 packet Thai noodles of choice
- Whisk together lime juice, garlic, ginger, fish sauce, sesame oil and honey in a bowl.
- Place the steak strips in a separate bowel and drizzle with half the dressing and seal with a plastic cover. Put the steak strips in the fridge over night or for at least 1 hour if you’re in a rush.
- Sear in a pan with olive oil and then stir-fry the beef strips with the sauce in a hot pan. Be careful not to burn or over cook the beef strips. You want them to be medium rare and not tough.
- Leave this to cool down completely.
- Mix all the fresh salad ingredients together then lightly drizzle and toss the remainder of the sauce with this mix. Add any of your favourite Thai ingredients.
- Once the beef has cooled, toss into the chilled salad greens and serve.
Sprinkle some sesame seeds on top of your salad for more of an Asian twist.
This recipe serves 6