When it comes to packing for your luxury safari holiday, all you need to do is head over to Pinterest and find a “safari packing list” template, and off you go. But what if we told you that there are some things on that packing list that you won’t find on Pinterest AND will make a bigger impact on your safari experience?
Introducing Pack for a Purpose, an initiative that allows travellers like you to make a lasting impact in the community at your travel destination.
Make your travels meaningful
Pack for a Purpose is an initiative that promotes responsible behaviour and grows awareness to travellers, travelling from abroad. Although not limited to international guests, our aim is to highlight the needs of our community and how every guest can make an impact on arrival.
As we know, the COVID-19 pandemic has not been kind to the tourism industry, and as well as this affecting businesses it has also created a knock-on effect on the surrounding communities that rely on Thornybush for assistance and support. Whether this is through donations, financial support and outreach, without a steady flow of guests, international and local, our neighbouring communities have felt the pinch.
But as we round back into a more “normal” state of business, we are spreading the word to practice a more responsible way of travelling. We feel that now more than ever Pack for a Purpose will be a way to make a BIG impact. Plus it’s a simple way to invite you as our guest, to be a part of giving back
What to Pack?
This initiative is divided up into some of the projects that Thornybush Community are involved in. Each Project has its own donation list that tells you what is needed so you can bring it along on your next Thornybush visit.
Project #1: Nourish
Nourish is a non-profit focusing on building resilient communities.
Their projects range from supporting toddlers in early development centres to the 50+ learners who are fed and have access to the eco-village library for daily learning. Also included are their elderly beneficiaries who tend to a vegetable garden for home consumption and have recently started a sewing project.
- Reference Materials: (English) Dictionaries
- Art Supplies for Artist Initiatives and Community Produced Projects: Acrylic Brushes and Paints, Beads for Bead Work, Buttons, Craft Glue, Craft Scissors, Crochet Hooks, Earring Hooks, Fabric Scissors, Fashion Magazines, Glass Beads for Bead Work, Knitting Needles, Sewing Needles, Sewing Scissors, Sewing Patterns, Tape Measures, Thread, Wool, and Zippers
- Gardening: Books about Gardening and Gardening Gloves
- Health/Personal Grooming: *Facecloths, *First Aid Kits, *Sanitary Napkins, *Soap Bars, *Toothbrushes, and *Toothpaste
Project #2: Wisani Day Care
Wisani Day Care is a rural daycare centre in the village of Dixie. It allows for early childhood development and socialising for the children which is a crucial part of a child’s development
- General School Supplies: Book Bags, Colored Construction Paper, Colored Pencils, Crayons, Erasers, Glue Sticks, Pencils, Pencil Cases/Bags, and Pens
- FlashCards: (English) Alphabet
- Laminated Wall Charts: Human Body, Language, and World Maps
- Educational Games/Toys: Connect Four, Puzzles, and Stuffed Animals/Soft Toys
- Music Instruments: Maracas and Tambourines
- Sports/Outdoor Activity: Soccer Balls
- Clothing/Shoes: New or Gently Used Children’s Clothing, and New or Gently Used Children’s Shoes
- Health/Personal Grooming: Toothbrushes and Tooth Paste
Project #3: Hananani Primary School
Hananani Primary is a public school that offers education to 253 students ages 4.5 through 13.
The name Hananani means “Giving”. The school has 15 staff members and offers a variety of subjects including English, Mathematics, Life skills/Life Orientation, Technology, Natural/Social/Economic Sciences, Creative Arts and Home Language (Xitsonga).
- General School Supplies: Book Bags, Chalk, Colored Pencils, Crayons, Erasers, Glue Sticks, Handheld Pencil Sharpeners, Pencil Cases/Bags, and Pens
- Reference Materials: (English) Dictionaries and Age Appropriate Encyclopedias on CD
- FlashCards: (English) Alphabet and Math
- Laminated Wall Charts: Human Body, Language, Math, Science, and World Maps
- Computer Hardware/Software: Educational Software and Tablets
- Sports/Outdoor Activity: Inflation Pumps, Jump Ropes, Netball/Basketballs, Soccer Balls, and Team Uniforms/Kits for Soccer
- Clothing/Shoes: New or Gently Used Children’s Clothing and Shoes
Project #4: Hlokomela
Hlokomela is an award-winning HIV and AIDS educational and treatment programme targeting workers, including foreign migrants, in the agriculture, nature conservation and tourism sectors in The Greater Kruger to Canyons area located in Limpopo and Mpumalanga. The programme aims to reduce HIV vulnerability through peer education, raising of awareness, prevention and treatment. The project has been running successfully for the past 11 years and is currently rolled out on 71 subproject sites. An estimated 25 000 people are reached annually through the activities of the programme.
- Clothing/Shoes: New ladies underwear of all sizes
- Health/Personal Grooming: Deodorant, Hand Cream, Plastic Gloves, Sanitary Napkins, Shampoos, Tampons, Toothbrushes, Toothpaste, Vaseline, and Washing Powder
What’s been packed this year
Between July 2020 and July 2021, Thornybush Community collected close on 400kg (800lbs) of donated goods for our local initiatives.
A big thank you to every guest who packed for a purpose thus far!